Thursday, November 26, 2009

When I joined the ReGeneration...

I joined the ReGeneration in the late 1980's thanks to Ranger Rick magazine.

In one of Ranger Rick's adventures, Ranger Rick traveled to a planet where all the animals lived in tunnels through garbage. There was no place else for them to live--the entire planet was covered with garbage.

At the end of the story, we learn that Ranger Rick wasn't on some mysterious planet in a distant solar system--he was on planet Earth. Earth in a future where humans had created so much trash they had covered the entire surface of the planet, and the animals had no other place to live other than tunnels through our garbage. The magazine went on to explain about the 3 R's - reduce, reuse, recycle.

I started recycling that day and eventually got my entire family involved. Twenty years later I have learned there is a lot more to it than those first 3 R's.

I learn something new everyday about conservation, climate change and stewardship. Some of it is very encouraging and some of it is very hard to hear. But I am learning to listen. I am learning to live differently so there will be a future in which we can all live and prosper.

The ReGeneration is defined by our action and outlook. I am taking action and I want others to take action with me.

We each have incredible power and together we can change our neighborhoods, our society, corporate America and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment