Sunday, January 9, 2011

Out with the Old

One of my first tasks for this year is to use up all the plastic-packaged items I already own. (As I stated in my Plastics Commitment, I have already consumed these and I will use them and keep the plastic for my year-end art project.)

I am finishing up loaves of bread, cheese, crackers, etc. But this may be my last chance to truly enjoy some of these items. It has been a bear to find cheese that is not packaged in plastic. And to be clear, I eat a lot of cheese (not as much as some - you know who you are). I thought I would be able to go to a specialty cheese counter and have them cut me pieces off a wheel, but most places I have been have their wheels wrapped in plastic. This just seems ridiculous to me.

Does anyone know of some place where I can buy cheese that is plastic-free?

Another issue that I have to deal with tomorrow is trying to find plastic-free toilet paper.

This may seem like one of those "well, duh" moments, but the PAPER is pretty much always packaged in PLASTIC! I know Whole Foods sells individual rolls that are only wrapped in paper but let's face it - one roll at a time does not work. I may be able to find someplace to buy toilet paper in bulk, but this is something I have to investigate more fully.

3 comments:

  1. And the deli counter will WRAP YOUR CHEESE IN PLASTIC. i can't think of any place that does not store its cheese in plastic, but, as a self-proclaimed cheese-aholic, i will see what i can find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked to the Whole Foods cheese guy and he said they are required to wrap the cheese in plastic once it has been cut. I asked if it was a company rule of a law and he said he didn't know... I am trying to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah-Mae, I know your post is a year old, and perhaps you have already found it, but 'Safe' makes a range of unbleached toilet paper that is packaged in paper - it's sold at most major supermarkets!

    ReplyDelete