Wednesday, January 19, 2011

There's No Such thing as a Fast Lunch (or Dinner)

For those who know me, I work a lot.

I love my job and I spend a lot of extra time working to make my projects the best they can be. This sometimes means I don't take lunch or I work through dinner, only to realize I am starving when the angry beast in my abdomen awakens. (It is awakening now, btw.)

Yesterday there was a late lecture at work. I had intended to go home early, get some food and rest and then come back for the lecture. Of course, I ended up staying late and went foraging just 20 minutes before the lecture started.

I went to the grocery store up the block and started looking for something fast and plastic free. I wandered around for a few minutes trying to think of what might work. I found a loaf of Palermo extra sourdough bread (yum!) in a paper bag. But woman shall not live by bread alone (but I could probably if I had to). I thought some fruit would so well, but all of the fruit - including the organic fruit - had plastic stickers on it. I thought I could find some nuts - everything including the aluminum cans and glass jars had plastic lids. I knew cheese was hopeless. I struck out with lunch meat too.

I resigned myself to bread, but I wanted something to drink. There were NO cold drinks (or single serve drinks) in glass bottles!

So I had bread for dinner - about a third of the loaf.

It was filling and made a good conversation piece when I walked into the auditorium. Maybe not the best in terms of meeting my nutritional needs however.

No comments:

Post a Comment